Olympia: The State Printing and Publishing Co., 1890. 93pp. Original printed pink wrappers. Light dust- soiling, minor bumps to spine ends. Internally clean. Near fine. Item #WRCAM55986
A scarce report containing documents, letters, opinions, and other pertinent correspondence from state committees and others in support of a finding that disputed lands in Seattle did, in fact, belong to the University of Washington. The university's original campus for its first three decades was on a ten-acre tract of land in downtown Seattle. By the late 1880s it was clear that the school needed more land in order to grow and accomodate its student body, and therefore it appealed to the Washington legislature in 1889 to validate its claims to ownership of the original campus lands. The legislature's 1890 decision allowed the university to sell these lands, whether in public or private sale, to their sole benefit. Rather than sell the original downtown property, the university decided to lease the land in what became known as Seattle's "Metropolitan Tract," very expensive real estate that brought large sums of money to the school for decades, helping to purchase the new campus site in 1893. "Can't locate other copies in bibliographies consulted" - Soliday. OCLC records four individual copies, at the University of Oregon, the University of Washington, the Washington State Library, and the Wisconsin Historical Society Library, along with an ultimately indeterminate number of copies contained in serial runs of state biennial reports. Suffice to say, it is a scarce work both in institutions and in the trade, with only the Soliday copy listed in the auction history. SOLIDAY IV:999. OCLC 41818069, 20167023.