Montgomery, Al. Richards Film Service, Inc., 1918. Panoramic photograph, 16 x 48 1/4 inches. Black and white unmounted photograph, captioned in the negative. Minor fading, tears at middle of right and left edges due to tight rolling of photo (image not affected), a few chips and minor creasing at bottom edge (image not affected). Very good. Item #WRCAM55005
A large, striking, and well-preserved photograph of the staff and student body of the Woman's College of Alabama in front of John Jefferson Flowers Memorial Hall. The panoramic photograph shows what was likely the entire student body of the college, as well as their male and female teachers and school administration. More than 150 female students are shown standing before the school's main building. The college's Montgomery campus was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., and Flowers Hall was designed by H. Langford Warren, founder of the School of Architecture at Harvard University. The Woman's College of Alabama was initially chartered as the Tuskegee Female College (the first of four names for the college) by the Alabama legislature in 1854. In the economic disruption after the Civil War, the college faced closure until the Methodist Episcopal Church took control in 1872 and renamed it the Alabama Conference Female College. In 1909, the college relocated to Montgomery and in 1910, the name changed again to the Woman's College of Alabama. The name changed one last time in 1935, to Huntingdon College, after the school began admitting male students. Only one copy is listed in OCLC, held at the Library of Congress. LCCN 2007661295.