St. Louis: Wiebusch und Sohn, 1860-1863. Four volumes bound in one. ,208; 200 (of 208); ,208 (lacks pp.137-144); ,200pp. Vol. 17 lacks issue 26. Vol. 18 lacks issue 18. Folio. Half morocco and marbled boards. Spine and corners heavily worn, front cover detached. Titlepage of first volume torn; second and third leaves heavily torn with some minor loss. Light to moderate foxing and wear. Else good. Item #WRCAM48378A
Lutheran German-language newspaper founded in 1844 by Carl Ferdinand Wilhelm Walther (1811- 87). The paper and its founder were key components in introducing the idea of an umbrella church for Lutherans in America and the Midwest, founding in 1847 the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio, and Other States. In the 1840s and '50s Germans were the largest immigrant group in America, settling heavily in the Midwest.