London: Sayer & Bennett, 1776. Single sheet, 29 x 22 inches. Some light toning and offsetting. Very good. Item #WRCAM47955
A highly important chart of the entrance into the St. Mary's River, showing the soundings, shoals and navigational details, as well as Tiger Island, Marteirs Islands, part of Amelia and Cumberland Islands, and the ruins of Fort William, which was built by James Oglethorpe. It shows settlements and named plantations, including that of the Countess Dowager of Egmont, with the slave quarters labeled in the map key. The map also includes a key to the rivers, buildings, etc., indicated on the map, and sailing directions into the harbor. This chart was originally published in the second part of THE NORTH-AMERICAN PILOT. In 1776, shortly after news of American Independence reached Great Britain, publishers Sayer and Bennett issued a second part to their previously published THE NORTH-AMERICAN PILOT, to encompass the coastline of the American colonies. The maps issued here include famed cartographic productions by John Gascoigne, Joshua Fisher, Anthony Smith, and others. Many maps include additions reflecting the early battles of the war (such as the plan of Charlestown, showing the attack on Fort Sullivan). This second part of THE NORTH-AMERICAN PILOT was first published in 1776 and subsequently reissued with additional maps in 1777. SELLERS & VAN EE 1632.