Harbor Springs, Mi. . Containing up to twelve monthly issues each. Printed in double columns. Quarto. Contemporary cloth spines and boards. Light wear to bindings. Very good. Item #WRCAM34768C
ANISHINABE ENAMIAD, later called MESSENGER OF THE HOLY CHILDHOOD, was a monthly journal published by the Franciscan fathers at the Holy Childhood Church and School in Harbor Springs, Michigan, devoted to the interests of the missionaries among the Ottawa and Chippewa (Ojibwa) Indians. The journal was edited by noted Jesuit scholar and author Zephyrin Engelhardt, the type was set by Indian boys, and the journal was printed by students on school grounds. "Anishinabe Enamiad" translates as "The Christian Indian," and the journal began publication in March 1896. For the first two years the content was printed exclusively in the Chippewa language and contained prayers, biographical sketches of church fathers, and news of the educational work of the Catholic Church among the Indians. With Vol. III, No. 1, published in March 1898, a monthly English language "Supplement" appeared, usually two pages long and carrying news, theology, and opinion pieces. In December 1902, with the publication of Vol. VII, No. 10, the "Supplement" was expanded to eight pages and renamed MESSENGER OF THE HOLY CHILDHOOD CHURCH AND SCHOOL, HARBOR SPRINGS, MICH. The final three issues of Vol. VII and all of Vol. VIII continued to carry the dual Chippewa- English language format. The name, ANISHINABE ENAMIAD, and the Chippewa language format were finally done away with in March 1904 with the commencement of Vol. IX, when the name was permanently changed to MESSENGER OF THE HOLY CHILDHOOD, and the journal was printed only in English. The Holy Childhood School in Harbor Springs, Michigan was established as a day school in the fall of 1885 in northern Michigan, near Traverse City. The history of the Catholic education of natives in that location dates back to 1829, however, when the Rev. T.S. Dejean took in an Indian student at the spot which would become the Holy Childhood School. The first class of 1885 was made up of thirty-six boys and girls. The following year the school's operations were expanded to include boarders, with sixty-four Indian boys and girls enrolled, along with twenty white students. By 1894 the school was teaching more than 200 boarding students. The students were taught composition, arithmetic, history, geography, and penmanship, as well as trades such as printing, bookbinding, shoemaking, tailoring, and carpentry.