[New Jersey]. June 13, 1797. Partially-printed form, completed in manuscript, 16 1/2 x 13 1/4 inches, with scalloped top. Paper seal attached. Old folds with separation at some folds, text only slightly affected. Good. Item #WRCAM54828
This indenture documents a sale made by Jacob Arnold of Morris County, New Jersey, to James Board, Jr. of Bergen County, New Jersey, of "thirty-one acres and forty-one hundredth of an Acre" of land located in "the Township late called Franklin but now Pompton in the County of Bergen," for the sum of "twenty- eight pounds, five shillings." This document also records the complete land survey and a reference to its record number with the Surveyor-General's Office in Perth-Amboy. The document is signed and sealed by Jacob Arnold and witnessed by James Board, Sr. and James Dougherty. Docketed and certified on the verso with a manuscript note by William Colfax, a judge of the Inferior Court of Common Pleas for Bergen County. Two of the men connected with this indenture played interesting roles during the Revolutionary War, both connected with George Washington. Jacob Arnold (1749-1827) served under Washington as commander of the light- horse militia of Morris County and was proprietor of a tavern on the Morristown Green used by Washington as a headquarters. William Colfax (1758-1838) was a member of George Washington's "Life Guard" (his personal bodyguard service) from 1778 to the end of the Revolution. He was present at the Battle of Bunker Hill, was wounded at White Plains, and witnessed Cornwallis's surrender at Yorktown.